Sam Ross

Manager, Member Communities
Staff member
May 22, 2023
Scotland
connect.comptia.org
Whether you're new to the community or have been with us for a while, we'd love to get to know you better. This thread is a place for all members to introduce themselves.

Here are a few questions to get you started:

1. What's your name and where are you from?
  2. What brought you to the CompTIA community?
  3. What's one fact about yourself that others might find interesting? Your "superpower".
We're excited to hear from you and look forward to learning more about our members. So go ahead, introduce yourself!

MJ Shoer

Chief Community Officer & CEO, CompTIA Spark
Staff member
Aug 7, 2019
Portsmouth, NH
Connect.CompTIA.org
Hello Everyone, my name is MJ Shoer and I am the Chief Community Officer for CompTIA, and the CEO of CompTIA Spark, our social innovation and impact arm. I live in Portsmouth, New Hampshire in the United States, which is about 50 miles north of Boston along the eastern seaboard.

I actually came to the CompTIA Community nearly 24 year ago as an MSP. I ran my own MSP from 1997 to 2015, when I sold to a friendly regional competitor. We were then acquired by a national US based MSP about 18 months later. After the second acquisition, I decided to leave the MSP space after my contract expired. I gave the company four months notice and then did some consulting in the IT Channel. I came to CompTIA in 2019 to start what is now the CompTIA ISAO. I became Chief Community Officer in January 2022, and CEO of CompTIA Spark in September 2023. This consolidates our traditional non-profit activities (Community and CompTIA Spark) under my leadership. I am lucky to have the absolute best team of professionals working with me to deliver meaningful impact for our members and expose youth to tech.

On the interesting fact front, I played tuba and sousaphone in my high school and university marching bands and was drum major of both. I believe my superpower is connecting people for the greater good. I am a very loyal and motivated person and when I believe in something, I am as tenacious as they come in doing whatever I can to see it through. For my work with CompTIA, this makes it easy for me to do what I do, with the support of my amazing teams. What we do is the right thing, at the right time, for all the right reasons.

Looking forward to learning more about many of you.

Feel free to reach out any time. I love hearing from our members and partners.

My Best to You,

MJ

Ray Adams

Jul 28, 2019
Hi, my name is Ray Adams. A native of Chicago, Illinois, and I am now in the south Florida area always on the lookout for the next dolphin or manatee sighting. I became interested in CompTIA in the mid 2000's as I began campaigning for my students to pursue the A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. As new entrants into the field, I knew these certifications in addition to the education they received would prove very beneficial.

I am currently an educator in the subject of IT with over 30 years as a professional in the IT field. With a history of field work with a large government agency in the 90's, entrepreneurial experience from the 90s through the millennium years, and academic instruction, I have seen a lot of technological change and am very excited to see how things continue to change with the intent of improving society. One thing that I have learned over the years is that with every great invention comes a new level of awareness and responsibility. Everything has both a positive and negative aspect. Especially with regard to technology, we need to be ever mindful of this fact and learn from past mistakes so that new ideas are more beneficial than harmful.

If I had to pick a superpower, I would say I have a form of "x-ray vision", where I do not simply look at things on the surface or how it may appear. I often look deeper in an effort to truly understand its purpose for being. The areas that capture my attention include cybersecurity, blockchain, and now artificial intelligence. I am so very excited to see how all these technologies reach maturity where society truly progresses forward.

Robert Landis

Chief, Field Support Division at Air Force Personn
Dec 5, 2019
San Antonio, Texas
Hello everyone! I'm Mr. Bob Landis. I am the Artificial Intelligence (A) Liaison for the Integration Directorate (A1X) which falls under Headquarters Air Force Personnel (A1). I work within the A1X Chief Data Officer (CDO) Office. At this point, I am just getting my feet wet in this position. We are currently working a project that will use AI to generate position descriptions. This project is part of an overall initiative to reduce the recruit/fill timeline and place employees in their positions faster.

Reactions: Sam Ross

Linda

Dec 16, 2023
Hi everyone, I my name is Linda Matomela and I'm from South Africa. What brought me to CompTIA is probably my love for computers, though still a student of the technology, but am hoping to learn more about computers and networks. Thank you

Ben V

Dec 22, 2023
Hello everyone. My name is Ben Valenzia and I live in Sydney Australia. . I am looking for a change of career from a customer service role in to a Data Analyst role. I find that the combination of data and programming is interesting and challenging. My super power is to be able to learn and process new tasks or ideas at work and outside of work.

Adebayo Oshinowo

IT Student at Kent Cleaning Services
Aug 3, 2021
Hello everyone , my name is Adebayo and I am happy to be here. I am living in London, UK and working with the Ministry of Justice. I have a past in Information Technology and even though now my job is not a technology specific role, I still enjoy spending time learning about the ever advancing information technology perhaps like everyone else. The fun thing about me is not so much of a fun really, I enjoy attending IT workshops and seminars even though I have no immediate opportunity to implement the new technologies or products that are featured at the seminars . I want to say that I appreciate being allowed to be part of this forum and I will pay close attention to the issue and deliberations in the forum. Thank you all once again. Regards

George Apakoh

Jan 3, 2024
Whether you're new to the community or have been with us for a while, we'd love to get to know you better. This thread is a place for all members to introduce themselves.

Here are a few questions to get you started:

1. What's your name and where are you from?
  2. What brought you to the CompTIA community?
  3. What's one fact about yourself that others might find interesting? Your "superpower".
We're excited to hear from you and look forward to learning more about our members. So go ahead, introduce yourself!

George Apakoh

Jan 3, 2024
Hi to everyone,
My name is George Apakoh. I'm glad to be back with CompTIA once again. I passed the CompTIA A+ certification a month ago and looking forward to completing the Network+ and the Security+ certification. I had all three certifications eight years ago, but during that time I was in University completing my bachelor's degree so I couldn't concentrate properly to find a job in IT due to the pressures of making sure I successfully complete my university degree. My certifications expired during that time so I decided to take them again. I'm an avid fan of IT and would like to share ideas and explore other avenues with my peers. Hence, the reason for choosing to be in the CompTIA community. My interest centres around networking and troubleshooting, so it would be a great idea to find like-minded people

Reactions: Estelle Johannes

Mcchilly

Jan 9, 2024
Hi to everyone,
My name is Olowoniyi Oluwaseyi I, I am from Nigeria currently processing my Visa to the UK. I'm glad to be with CompTIA community as I joined recently. I am planning to take the CompTIA A+ certification, i just finisjed my training at New Horizons and looking forward to completing the Network+ and the Security+ Training as well as the certification. I recently completed my university degree B.tech in Computer Sci. I've always loved to be in the Tech community and would like to learn and explore various asoects with my peers. I want to venture into cyber security and hope I meet like and great minds. I hope to build a successful career and with the community help the sky is the beginning

Sam Ross
Sam Ross
Hey @Mcchilly - good to see you here and sharing your CompTIA journey!

XRP978

Jan 14, 2024
Hi all,

My name is Enmanuel Mejia, I am from Boston, Massachusetts and my family is from the Dominican Republic.

I am here to study CompTIA Linux + and CompTIA A+ to start off.

My superpower is being a sole parent (father) to special needs twins.

I am looking forward to immersing myself with this community and hopefully provide undeniable value-added interactions.

Toyinsola

Jan 16, 2024
Hi. My name is Toyinsola. I am Nigerian and live in Ashford, England. The vibrant discussions and wealth of knowledge drew me to the CompTIA community.

In my current role as Freelance Web Designer & Developer, I've had the chance to work on more diverse web projects, refining my skills in UI design, Lead generation and website optimization. Previously, at Chert Nigeria, I contributed to an increase in sales and revenue through leads generation, developing landing pages with effective sales funnel and managing digital marketing campaigns. This enabled me develop a diverse skill set in design, development, marketing and project management.

Fun Fact: Beyond tech, I have a passion for reading memoirs and crocheting :D.

I'm here to share insights, learn from the community's expertise, and build meaningful connections. Excited to be a part of the CompTIA family!

Sam Ross

Manager, Member Communities
Staff member
May 22, 2023
Scotland
connect.comptia.org
Reactions: Estelle Johannes